Thursday, October 8, 2009

Freight Train


Through lonely hills and wooded steep
Through sloping pastures, forests deep
Above where cold dark waters rush
You disappear into the brush
Your solemn whistle sends a chill
To hearts that listen, wordless, still
O-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-, O-o-o-o-o-o

Across open prairie you hasten along
Your wheels never cease their rhythmic song
And embers shower like golden snow
Upon the fields and track below
You sweep the plains with your single eye
Thrilling hearts with your plaintive cry
O-o-o-o-o-o-o-o, O-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

You rumble along, never looking back
Devouring the miles of even track
Eagerly chasing each curve and bend
Until you’ve reached your journey’s end
And only the stars above you know
Where the winding railway goes

Freight train, take me for a ride
Show me nature’s secret side
Take me ‘cross this mighty nation
Through the heart of God’s creation
Sing to me a song of wheels
Music borne of steel on steel

I see your cinders deck the rail
Your breath a thick and charcoal trail
I rush to watch you thunder by
Thrilling to your lonesome cry
And if my wistful face you see
Wink your eye just once, for me
O-o-o-o-o-o, O-o-o-o-o-o

All Rights Reserved
Janet Martin

No comments: