Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Almost Home


There’s a mist rolling in across the harbor
I cannot see beyond the rocky shore
I can smell the roses blooming on the arbor
And I don’t feel so weary anymore
Up the street I hear a fiddle playing
It brings a spring into my lagging mile
I can almost see the lights for which I’m praying
I’m almost home and I begin to smile

I can almost see the sweet home fires burning
Hearth of home, where earth and heaven meet
With loved ones near to fill my hearts deep yearning
Home sweet home, my joy is now complete

I’ve labored for my share of coin and jingle
But they don’t know that I feel like a king
Upon the hearth where woe and laughter mingle
Burdens melt within that glowing ring
As I drink the wine of mirth and sorrow
The fruit of life in richest purest blend
Its warmth will give me hope again tomorrow
Heaven’s thresh-hold waits at toilings end

Oh, the dew is lying heavy on the blossom
The breeze is kissed with breath of salty foam
It revives the gladness in my bosom
For I can almost see the lights of home

There’s a mist rolling in across the harbor
But I don’t fear the rocks along the shore
Eternal roses bloom on Heaven’s arbor
And I don’t feel so weary anymore
Beyond the gloom I hear the angels singing
A hand draws me across my final mile
And now I see the Hand to which I’m clinging
I’m almost home and I begin to smile

I can almost see the sweet celestial gleaming
Portal where this earth and Heaven meet
I almost see the home of which I’m dreaming
Home sweet home, my journey is complete

I’ve labored, had my share of joy and trouble
But my inheritance is with The King
I see the thresh-hold and release earth’s rubble
Burdens melt within this glowing ring
As I drink in all the beauty of my Savior
And taste the fruit of mercy from His vine
Humbly at His feet I place my labor
Home sweet home within His love divine

No comments: