Friday, March 18, 2011

Trying to Grasp...Eternity


The ocean chuckled at my feet
I asked, “What does it feel like to hold
An eternity of turquoise in your palm?”
She looked at me with eyes translucent, sweet
And I’ll never forget the words she told
As her voice grew soft and calm

My hands hold but the merest drop
In light of eternity
If for ten-thousand years the clock would stop
But at the end you stole from me
One tiny drop of water
And this would continue until you could see
The ocean floor and its mystery
One drop every ten-thousand years would be
A day in eternity….

And if I should take as I lap at your feet
One single grain of sand
Then wait for a thousand years to return
For another in my hand
And if I should do this until every grain
In every beach across the world
Was in my palm,
And in the same measure
Return it again until every beach was restored
One grain of sand every thousand years
Until all of the sand is gone
Is simply a breath in eternity
A moment in its sun

The ocean chuckled at my feet
And then looked up at me
“As I am doing all of this,” she asked
“Pray tell, where will you be?”

All Rights Reserved
Janet Martin

For God so loved the world
That he gave His one and only Son,
That whosoever believes
Should not perish but have
Everlasting life! John 3:16

No comments: