Wednesday, April 13, 2011

You Should Have Had a Palace



You should have had a palace, a soft and royal gown
A gentle little cradle and on Your head a crown
You should have had each stately hall filled with celebration
As earth received in helpless form the Hand of all creation

But instead of a palace, a stable with a lowly manger bed
Instead of a crown and a royal gown, no pillow for Your head
Instead of a ball in a stately hall, a hillside cold and dim
Where shepherds heard the angel’s word and came to worship Him

You should have had a chariot with a throne in which to ride
Golden flower petals to scatter at Your side
Purple and scarlet satin would be too plain a gown
Rubies, pearls and diamonds too lowly for Your crown

But instead of a chariot ,a donkey, a plain and homely beast
A piece of bread to remember Your death was Your parting feast
The scarlet You wore was the blood that poured from Your wounded side
Your crown was thorns and instead of a throne, a cross on which You died

I should have no hope or pardon, no reason to be glad
I should be bowed low in sorrow, in shame hang down my head
I should be mocked and beaten and hated all day long
Tears should be my bread and meat and weeping be my song

But instead of hate there was mercy, instead of death there was grace
Instead of doom and a cloud of gloom there’s a smile upon my face
Instead of a load on a hopeless road there is Heaven up above
And that cross on the hill is empty still because of a Savior’s love

It should have been me upon that cross instead of the King of kings
But so one soul should not be lost You endured my sufferings
Instead of a king a servant, You hung on the cross for me
May I praise You and in return forever Your servant be

All Rights Reserved
Janet Martin

Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God
something to be grasped,
but made Himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness,
and being found in appearance
as a man, He humbled Himself and
became obedient to death,
even death on a cross! Phil.2: 6-8

2 comments:

Hope said...

breathtaking piece of poetry my friend! you are a true treasure. I'm going to recommend your blog to a few of my blogging friends who I'm sure will appreciate your talent as much as I.

have a wonderful night, Janet!
thank you so much!

Janet said...

Hope, thank-you so much.