Friday, September 16, 2011

The Way


Lord, how can we know the way
We have not walked before?
The glowering skies dull and gray
And we are weak and poor
Lord, we have no gifts to offer you
In tidings of this earth
Our treasures here are paltry few
And not of any worth

Oh Lord, how oft we are inclined
To sink in bleak despair
When suddenly you stir our minds
As we reach out in prayer
You open up our tear-dimmed eyes
And whisper patiently
‘I am the Way, the Truth and Life,
My child, come unto Me

The ways of earth I have ordained
And child, you need not bring
To Me the first-fruits of My hand
As sin’s vain offering
There is but one thing of true worth
That I desire of Thee
Forsaking other gods you serve
To come and follow Me’

Janet Martin


Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”

6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:5-6

1 comment:

Louis Gander said...

"...as we reach out in prayer." I like the words and rhythm to this poem. Nice.